Nazi souvenirs on sale in Tel Aviv

Data: 2011-10-28 08:42:20
Autor: mkarwan
Nazi souvenirs on sale in Tel Aviv
If it happened in any other country, we'd be crying 'anti-Semitism!' but it's happening in the first Hebrew city in broad daylight. And yes, there are customers.

"If you buy this Nazi medal, I'll throw in the Hitler postcard at half price." On Friday afternoon at Tel Aviv's Dizengoff Square flea market, among the antique porcelain, collector's vinyl records and vintage clothes, I suddenly see a portrait of Hitler on a stamp. Next to the stamp are a number of postcards sent home by SS officers in the 1940s, signed off with the infamous salutation "heil."

Then I see medals, coins, banknotes and letters - all authentic, all from the time of the Third Reich, and all displayed in broad daylight in the first Hebrew city, on sale in exchange for Israeli currency. Each item bears the notorious swastika, the symbol that flashed before the eyes of millions before they were led to their murder.

I am tempted to confront the manager of the stall holders, who allows money to be made from our nation's terrible trauma, but I shy away from the dark corners. One of the traders explains, "I sell antiques that have historic value, and the rest doesn't interest me." He has no qualms about his trade.

After an hour of looking around, I realize that the really valuable items are not even displayed. They are hidden away in bags and drawers, perhaps to keep them from the eyes of the police or passers-by, or because of feelings of guilt.
więcej w http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3838630,00.html

Nazi souvenirs on sale in Tel Aviv