[OT] Tak mi się skojarzyło

Data: 2011-01-03 14:03:00
Autor: Tomasz Radko
[OT] Tak mi się skojarzyło
Fragment dyskusji o jednym z tegorocznych kandydatĂłw do baseballowego
HOF. Dlaczego go przytaczam w grupie o koszykĂłwce? Zgadnijcie, koteczki.

==========
You Had To Be There

It’s after 5 pm here on the West Coast, and I’m watching the sunset at
the beach. The sun drops, drops, drops…and it’s gone! Into the ocean!
Miraculously, a brand new sun will appear, fully formed, 13 hours from
now. This is roughly how Hall of Fame voters justify ignoring numbers in
making their case for or against certain players.

Jack Morris is a Hall of Fame pitcher because…well…you had to be there.
Here’s the thing about us humans: We’re terrible at observing reality.
As in the case of the setting sun, our eyes can only take us so far. Our
minds are even more unreliable. We remember Jack Morris’ dominant Game 7
in the 1991 World Series, but conveniently forget his miserable playoff
performance the very next year. This is known as confirmation bias,
where we collect observations that prove our argument, and throw out the
ones that disprove it. This is why science exists, people. Without hard
data, our observations can be nearly useless – or worse than useless.
=========

[OT] Tak mi się skojarzyło